Sunday, April 29, 2012

What Does Vince Lombardi Have to Do With Prepping?

The other day a prepper curious friend asked me what kind of gun he should buy. I was excited that he was thinking of taking care of his need to protect himself and his family. The ability and right to protect our persons, family and property come with being human. They are a God-given right, not as some would consider a man-made right.

Before I gave him an answer about weapons, I had to stop and think a bit. (usually I just say something then think later, ask my wife, she'll agree) This time, I asked him a question instead. "Do you have the basics covered?" "Do you have a one year supply of food and water for your family?"

I kind of expected the answer I received, "No, I don't have any food stashed...yet." I didn't want to discourage him about protecting his family but at the same time I feel that FEEDING your family is protecting them also. I gently encouraged him to start thinking about starting his food purchases FIRST, then as money allowed to consider purchasing his weapons.

Psychologist Abraham Maslow developed his theory of Hierarchy of Needs. The basic necessities at bottom of his list of needs are the physiological needs. Breathing, food, water, shelter. Just above that comes security.

So many times we want to get the coolest gadget, radio, solar panel, gun, that we forget about taking care of the basics FIRST. Even though I am constantly ADDING to my already deep larder, I am able to move up and concentrate on security of body, family and property.

The Green Bay Packers' legendary head coach, Vince Lombardi led them to 5 world championships in 7 years including the first two Super Bowls. Although each season, many hardened veterans would return, to the Packers, Coach Lombardi would start with the basics. On the first day of practice each year, Lombardi would hold up a football and say, "Men....this is a football!"

You can't get any more basic than that. So, remember in your quest to prepare your family for uncertainty, start with the basics. Take care of those, then move up.

This link is a really neat little tool that helps calculate just how much food you need for a given amount of people. It is developed by some Mormons. I am not Mormon, but I do respect their deep knowledge and (food) preparedness beliefs.

http://lds.about.com/library/bl/faq/blcalculator.htm

As well as encouraging people to start their own business. William Feller also teaches how to survive in a possible severe economic downturn. Through his blog/audio podcast, http://awareandprepared.com/ William reaches thousands of people worldwide with practical tips and tools on how not only to survive but thrive in any downturn.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment